Many homes in northern Virginia have taken a beating from this past winters record breaking snow and frigid temperatures. If your home has incurred any past or recent storm damage, ACI will work with your insurance company to repair your precious investment.
Take advantage of the warm spring weather and prepare your home for the hot summer months ahead. Advanced Contracting, Inc. offers the following home maintenance checklist to help you keep your home in top-top shape:
Here are a few tips to get your home ready for Summer in a handy Spring Home Maintenance Schedule!
- Inspect your roof. Your roof is your home’s first line of defense against water damage. Now is the time to have your roof inspected and any damage repaired.
- Clean your gutters. Gutters direct rain away from your roof and home, protecting both in the process. Clogged gutters, meanwhile, open your home to water damage—and there’s a good chance you won’t notice the damage until you need an expensive repair.
- Clean and repair your screens. Gently scrub on flat surface with soapy water, rinse well, also patch small holes as needed.
- Repair any cracked or peeling paint. A good paint job makes your home look nice, while providing a protective barrier from the elements. Touch-up painting is easy to do and inexpensive.
- Clear vegetation around your AC compressor. To work efficiently, the compressor needs good airflow. Prune any plant growth that may block it.
- Check seals around windows and doors. Winter weather can crack and harden caulk and other weather seals. Inspect them now and repair and replace as needed. You’ll reduce your air-conditioning bill and could prevent water from entering your home and causing damage.
- Clean windows. As we mentioned in our March newsletter titled “Let The Sunshine In”, clean windows make both the interior and exterior of a home appear more appealing, cared for and inviting. Larry Miller, Inc. is a local company we recommend that specializes in windows, gutters, power washing and roof cleaning services. Larry can be reached at 703-723-7770 or you can visit their website at www.windowcleaningservice.net
- Shutters. Be sure your shutters are fastened securely.
- Clean or replace your HVAC filters. A dirty filter forces your HVAC system to work harder, which in turn drains your wallet. It could also shorten the life of your blower motor.
- Vacuum your refrigerator coils. The coils you’ll find on the bottom or back of your refrigerator conduct the hot air from inside the unit. If they’re coated with dust, they do the job less efficiently and cause your fridge to work harder. That means a higher electric bill for you. Use a vacuum cleaner hose or a brush to clean the coils.
- Replace the batteries in your smoke detectors. You never know when you’ll need them. Sometimes, it’s a matter of life or death, so take the time to change the batteries now.
- Fire Extinguishers – Be sure you have at least one fire extinguisher in your home. Ideally, you should have two or three depending on the size of your house. Reading the instructions and checking for an expiration date is also important. Not all fire extinguishers expire, but some do.
If you need direction or assistance while preparing your home for the hot summer months ahead, please give us a call! 540-554–8777
SUMMERTIME CAN BE HARD ON OUR PETS
Advanced Contracting, Inc. would also like to remind you that as spring temperatures arrive, a beautiful 72 degrees outside can cause the temperature inside of a car to reach 112 degrees in less than an hour. If you see an animal in distress in a parked car, contact the nearest animal shelter or police.
Fairfax Animal Shelter 703-830-1100
Loudoun Animal Care & Control 703-777- 0406
Fauquier Animal Care & Control 540-422-8750